Friday, 29 September 2017

Welsh Road (Floating slippers, electricity sub-stations and a staring man)

Unexpected but reflective rainbow this morning

What a gorgeous Indian summer’s day it was on Thursday.  I was doing the regular morning task of dead heading the plants but stupidly I was still in my slippers.  They are only slip-ons and they easily slip off and slip off they did; into the water and not for the first time.  I didn’t panic because I knew they floated and got them out before going back indoors.  I left them on the roof all day to dry out in the sun.  I really must be sensible when walking the gunwales even when moored up!

Karen had gone to Peterborough for a meeting and sent a picture to our family Whatsup group from her office for the day:

The joys of working for a utility company – not quite the Canary Wharf of her last job 😊

During the morning Buddy and I walked to Long Itchington to stock up on fruit and salad stuff.  The village is two miles away and we met nobody on the way there or back which is one of the reasons we enjoy being around this area.  That’s not quite true, we passed three boats in the Bascote flight.  There were two hire boats getting ready to go up the staircase and the crews were debating how to operate the locks as they had realised that staircases were different to ordinary locks and they hadn’t come across them before.  This was despite clear instructions posted at the top and bottom.  

I don’t really like getting involved as it feels a bit condescending but they were about to open the wrong paddles so I felt I had to intervene. They were glad I explained what to do but I did point out the signs and said they should always look for those first in the future and not to worry about doing things slowly.

Bullrushes out just up from our mooring

We walked past the pumpkin fields which were now being harvested.  They were being harvested by hand as I doubt there’s specialised machinery for this crop yet.


On the way into the village from the canal we walked along the old railway line which is now a butterfly reserve.

I was imagining what it would look like next spring when I realised we wouldn’t be here – we would be on our way up north for the year as Karen stops work (again!) in March.  A bit further on the cutting gets a bit more overgrown but that encourages different species of butterflies to those of the open, grassy areas.

Just outside the village, the local community are establishing a nature reserve which is a good thing to see as it gets people outdoors and gives them a chance to learn about the natural world.

In the afternoon I was sitting outside with Buddy, eating my fruit salad, when a walker came by (the first of the day that I had seen).  He stopped to say hello and then just stood and stared at the butterfly picture on the side of the boat.  He told me he had seen the boat when we were moored on the Hatton flight a couple of months ago and he had stood there for about ten minutes just looking at the butterfly.  He asked if he could do the same this time and I said yes but felt slightly uncomfortable as he didn’t seem to want to talk.  In the end I carried on eating and said if he wanted a chat then to let me know.  He finished staring, thanked me, asked me a few questions about blue butterflies and went on his way.

Us and our neighbours at our Welsh Road lock mooring

Before I go I want to say thank you for the well wishes for my mum – she is still in hospital and cannot leave until Social Services have visited the home to see what adaptations, if any, are required.  They have already been out and fitted additional rails for my dad but suspect they will say Mum will have to stay downstairs for the foreseeable future.

Thursday evening stillness

No comments:

Post a Comment