Tuesday, 12 June 2018

Downholland Cross (an easy day but we still cruised)

This is a single petunia but has two different colours of flowers - we've never come across this before

Monday dawned with the promise of yet another cloudless and warm day albeit with a noticeable breeze.  We wanted to fill up with diesel and get a pump out before going into the docks so headed off for Scarisbrick marina late morning.  As is our morning custom when cruising, Karen and Buddy walked whilst I drove alongside.  After about three miles we arrived at the marina.

By now it was getting really windy and, as I wasn’t sure where the service point was in the marina, I hung around in the entrance bridge hole whilst Karen had a good look around from the front.  The wind can make it difficult manoeuvring in marinas as it blows across the open water.  This marina was no different and it was packed with boats – don’t people take their boats out around here?

Karen sussed out the service point and we headed off for it.  There were already two boats moored up waiting to be seen so I went to breast up against them.  I overshot them slightly and the wind caught the bows swinging them away from the boats.  I tried to correct and reverse but to no avail (the first time I have ever thought that having bow thrusters would have helped).  Anyway, I did a complete 360 and came back in again taking care not to overshoot them this time.

Moored up three abreast waiting for the service point
Both the other boats were on their way out of Liverpool and, just like everyone else who has been into the docks, the owners were raving about the city and their stay there.  It was a pleasant marina and the guys who served us were really helpful and friendly.  At 87p a litre the diesel was more expensive than we have paid for a long while but at least they were happy to accept a 100% domestic split so it was all duty free.

As it was Monday, we had had the washing on whilst cruising so decided to carry on a bit further and then moor up for the day, so we could get the washing out to dry.

The landscape has been flat for the last few days and is well cultivated, hence my comment that it has felt like being in Cambridgeshire or other similar counties.  Several fields were being watered already so it shows how dry it has been too.

This little stretch was atypical with trees surrounding us
When I fed Buddy in the morning his temporary plastic bowl reminded me that I had lost his food and water bowls in the cut yesterday and was unable to retrieve them with a magnet.  This further reminded me of the last thing I dropped overboard which I managed to rescue without Karen realising anything even though she was six feet away in the kitchen 😉

I had been leaning out of a side hatch trimming my beard.  For some stupid reason I decided to clean the trimmer whilst leaning over the water and as soon as I opened it up, the cutting pad fell in.  Karen was cooking, and I acted all cool and went to get the magnetic and I managed to be so discrete that she didn’t notice me fishing let alone find out what I had lost.  I retrieved it at the first sweep and suffice to say I won’t be cleaning it that way again 😊

Going through Haskayne we passed a trade boat we hadn’t come across before.  This one was called the Wool Boat but, unfortunately, it was closed otherwise Karen would have visited.  She, Sophie and Jo are into knitting and are knitting shawls for Lauren’s wedding in December. Sophie has recently got into crocheting and crocheted her bunting and place settings for her wedding party last weekend.

The Wool Boat
We only had three swing bridges to go through today and we moored up just after Coxhead’s swing bridge at Downholland Cross.  The wind was still up so the washing soon dried.

Moored for Monday night
In all we travelled six lock-free miles on Monday and are still in territories new for us so the blue line on our map showing the waterways we have covered is getting longer 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment