Thursday, 23 February 2017

Lapworth (a gruelling time in the sun)

Even though we are away from the boat this week I thought I would make the odd blog entry even if just for our own memories.  

The island we are staying on is stunning and we feel so fortunate to have found somewhere that suits us down to the ground.  We are determined to walk at least five miles each day as well as swimming just to make sure we get some exercise.  On Tuesday we walked two miles along the beach to the east of the villa.  We saw two other couples and a fisherman, oh, and lots of birdlife of course.  We were in an area that has  salt lagoons behind the shoreline which makes for  interesting flora and fauna. 

We have seen a few butterflies, mainly from the white, brown and blue families.  The most common so far has been the Plain Tiger (aka African Monarch) which belongs to a family not seen in the UK.

Plain Tiger

In the evening we wandered down to the bar on the beach to watch the fisherman come in and then went to what’s purported to be the best restaurant in the place.  It happens to be right next to the villa which is handy.  I’m not sure what criteria is used to make it the best but we had a pleasant time.  During the day it is a general stores run by Isobel, who is 20 and the middle child of 13 – she has six brothers and six sisters – an even bigger family than our nine.   She wants to move out of Cape Verde and has taught herself English as the first step.  She is quite an ally to us as she is the only English speaker we have met and our Portuguese is next to useless.  The tourists tend to be aging French and Germans so not a generation to speak English.

Anyway, Tuesday was the day before the next supply ship arrived so restaurant choices (and stuff in shops) were very limited.

On Wednesday we walked to the next village, Morro.  We walked out on the road and back along the beach.   It was a bit further than we realised at eight miles and with half of that on sand meant that our calves were pretty tired by the time we got back.  Again, everywhere was deserted; on the three mile stretch of coast we saw one person – a local fisherman.

Back in our village we bumped into three guys we met on the first day.  They are all Italians and eight of them moved out here nine years ago.  They are Buddhists and make their living by looking after the villas owned by the foreigners.  We had a chat with them and sat at the bar again, this time to watch the supply ship unload. It comes over from Santiago island on a Wednesday every one to three weeks depending on the volume of goods that have been ordered.  It was fascinating watching the locals scurrying around like ants filling up their shops and restaurants.

Here are a few photos from the last couple of days:

Evening drinks on the beach watching the fisherman coming home - our villa is at the far right at the top of the cliff

These are a type of egret and I think these ones are Cattle Egrets

Walking east on Tuesday

Pig family in Morro

A salt water lagoon

Evening view across to Santiagao, the largest island in the group

The extensive menu on Tuesday evening - I had the goat and Karen had the Longoustines


Walking back on Tuesday

The road to Morro - the building in the distance is the airport we flew into

Goats outside the villa - just like the Canary islands seeing so many goats around

Another pig family - pigs, goats and chickens seem to be the most common animals

Beach walk on Wednesday

Our local restaurant (the blue building)

Morro high street

Supply ship unloading

Our restaurant from the back - it is upstairs and the shop is downstairs

No comments:

Post a Comment